Wednesday, September 24, 2014

My first uncovering


Here is a photograph that I took in June 2013, at the time of the Eleanor or Hildegard post. Two Art Deco apartment blocks side by side on Lygon Street. Whilst the one of the right hand side is perfect in its symmetry, the one on the left has obviously been designed to fit into a narrow space.
A few days ago I noticed an empty space where that building used to stand.



And on the wall of the southern boundary, a sign hitherto hidden. Stefan Schutt (and I assume the whole of the ghost sign hunting fraternity) refers to these signs as "uncoverings" so imagine my delight at discovering this!


The paint that is covering the ROB of the sign belongs to the neighbouring business, Carbone Master Tailors. One wonders if and when this sign will become "covered". But in the meantime, it is a great continuation of the textile and clothing industry that used to be the lifeblood of Brunswick.


No comments:

Post a Comment